Uniform & Equipment
All Uniform & PE Kit is available from Best Look, Affordable Schoolwear or Jacobsons. Full details and order forms can be found at the bottom of the page.
- Hair should be kept tidy, of one natural colour and appropriate for working
- Patterns should not be shaved in to the hair
- Jewellery worn must be sensible, of low value. Any ear rings should be of the stud type. No jewellery to be worn in Physical Education lessons or activities
- Other visible body/facial piercings are not allowed for either sex
- If make-up is worn it should be discrete in nature
- Hats/hoods should not be worn indoors
- Nail varnish, if worn, should be clear, not coloured. Nail extensions are not appropriate at school
- Students must come to school equipped for lessons. It is expected that students will have:
- A school bag large enough to carry a number of A4 exercise books, pencil case and School Planner
- Pencil case for pens, pencils, rubber, ruler, maths equipment (see Maths Department order form)
- A particular requirement at Manshead is that students should have a green biro
- School Planner to be carried to Learning Guide time and all lessons
- Equipment for Art lessons is shown on the Art Department order form
Phones and MP3 players
We ask parents & carers please to bear in mind that all items are brought in to school entirely at the individual’s risk. This includes mobile phones, MP3 players, wallets, money, jewellery etc. Valuable items such as MP3 players and mobile phones are the responsibility of the student and should only be used at break or lunchtime, outside of the buildings (unless the teacher gives permission to do so). In lessons mobile phones and MP3 players must be switched off and out of sight. If MP3 players or phones are used inappropriately they will be confiscated and parents will be asked to collect the item from school. Phones and MP3 players can be a significant distraction to learning – we follow this policy rigorously and expect to have parental support if we need to deal with an incident involving misuse of phones or MP3 players.
During lessons such as PE & Dance, when students have to leave their clothes in the changing rooms, we provide a valuables box. We will do our best to keep any items in the valuables box safe, but no system is perfect and we cannot accept responsibility for loss or damage from the box. The best protection is not to bring in to school any items of higher value than is strictly necessary.
Photographs of Students
We take and use photographs of students in celebration and promotional material (eg the school prospectus, the photo galleries that are on our corridor walls, our website, newspaper articles etc). We adhere to the following rules when we use photographs:
- We never publish names and photos alongside one another except with permission
- We are careful about the appropriateness of individual photos
- We respect the wishes of individual students not to have their photo used (within reason, eg we might not withdraw a group photo/display because one student objected unreasonably)
- We do not ban photography by the audience at school events, but we do make admission ticket-only wherever possible.
If you do not wish photos of your child to be displayed please write to the Headteacher to that effect. NB Withdrawal of consent cannot apply to group photographs or the school productions, for reasons of practicality.
All Uniform & PE Kit is available from Best Look, 68 High Street North, Dunstable, LU6 1LE, Tel: 01582 603603 or Affordable Schoolwear, Highways Little Green Lane, Caddington, LU1 4EW, Tel: 01582 742460 / 07901 555951 email: email@example.com , or Jacobsons, 206 High Street North, Dunstable LU6 1AU, Tel 01582 660353. Alternatively order forms and/or price lists are at the following links: