Options after Sixth Form
We work with organisations like 4YP to ensure that we provide the best and broadest information and guidance to students as they think about their next steps beyond Manshead.
As well as the information below, there is further advice and guidance on the Careers page in the Curriculum area of this website.
Staying in Education
https://www.gov.uk/what-different-qualification-levels-mean/compare-different-qualification-levels – summary of the different qualifications and level of study (comparison)
- ucas.com – for university applications and information
- thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk – information on choosing universities
- which.co.uk/University – can give you universities with entry requirements that meet your grades
- prospects.ac.uk – A graduate careers website, can help you look at what jobs your degree will lead to
- bestcourse4me.com – help with choosing university courses by inputting different variables
- https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/advice/planning/jobfamily/Pages/default.aspx – to help you find out about different jobs and the entry requirements
- http://www.thescholarshiphub.org.uk/ – Information about scholarships to help fund your degree
For general information, have a look at:
For more specific information, you can also look at:
- University in USA: http://www.fulbright.org.uk/study-in-the-usa. Free event in London on Wed 6th July: http://purepotential.org/events/
- University in Canada: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/
- University in Europe: eunicas.co.uk and http://www.studyineurope.eu
- University in Australia: https://www.studyinaustralia.gov.au/
College HNDs / HNCs
- Look at your local colleges – Higher Education courses
Combining work and training
School Leaver Programmes / Sponsored Degrees / Higher apprenticeships
- allaboutschoolleavers.co.uk – a good website to compare university /higher apprenticeships/degree apprenticeships / school leavers options etc. http://schoolleavers.milkround.com/ – for jobs, apprenticeships, school leaver schemes etc
- notgoingtouni.co.uk –Excellent website originally set up by a 6th form student who felt there was not enough info out there for young people about quality alternatives to university. Includes alternative options to traditional university including school leaver schemes, apprenticeships, courses, gap opportunities etc. Sign up to their newsletter.
- unisnotforme.com –school leaver schemes, apprenticeships, courses, gap etc.
- apprenticeships.gov.uk – the government website for all apprenticeship levels.
- http://www.open.ac.uk/ – the open university for distant learning courses – you are still eligible for student loans but can work alongside studying at home – support from tutors is via residential weekends and skype/telephone/messaging services
- Contact your 4YP adviser for support with job hunting, CV, interview technique etc.
- https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/uk-commission-for-employment-and-skills look here labour market information – what sectors will still have jobs in the future and what skills and qualifications will employers need – the NAS website will also give this information under individual job info (job profiles)
- nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk The National Careers Service website for further careers research/CV builder tool/skills assessment tool and much more
- yini.org.uk A Year in Industry: A great site for applying for paid work experience
- yearoutgroup.org organisations providing gap year projects are carefully vetted and provide annual confirmation that they continue to abide by a code of practice and operating guidelines which are described on the website
Other opportunities / volunteering
- do-it.org.uk/ – to find a wide range of volunteering opportunities in your area
http://www.voluntaryworks.org/service/youth-action – Youth Action: an organisation supporting young people to find voluntary work in Central Bedfordshire