About the Diocese of St Albans Multi-Academy Trust
The Diocese of St Albans Multi-Academy Trust has been established to provide for three different types of Church of England school within the Diocese of St Albans:
- Schools requiring rapid improvement having been placed in Special Measures and subject to a directive Academy Order
- Good or Outstanding church schools within the Diocese of St Albans
- New schools within new housing provision where the Diocese of St Albans is the identified sponsor
The Trust will consider applications from other schools supportive of the Trust’s ethos on a case-by-case basis. This will include non-church schools wishing to join with protected non-church school status.
Following the principles used to establish Church of England schools in the 1800s, the Diocese of St Albans Multi-Academy Trust will remain committed to, where possible, providing a locally-based, high quality education that enables schools to meet the needs of their local community, whilst benefitting from a regional network of support. Academies that are part of the Trust will retain their name, school uniform and local customs, and the local governing body will, through a delegated scheme of earned autonomy, retain local control of schools where appropriate.
As a Church of England Multi-Academy Trust, our commitment to a locally-based education will be delivered through an approach consistent with the faith and practice of the Church of England. All academies in the Trust will be expected to deliver the curriculum within a programme of Christian values and virtues in an overarching ethos that sees each individual child as being of worth and having the capacity to grow into a fully rounded person. Community is another important concept and individual academies within the Trust will have access to events and training available to all schools and academies within the St Albans diocesan schools network that will ultimately include local, school-led, Church of England multi-academy trusts, stand-alone academies, federations and CE maintained schools.
Academies within the Diocese of St Albans Multi-Academy Trust will remain part of the St Albans diocesan network of schools. Currently, this consists of 136 schools comprising maintained schools, stand-alone academies, CE federations and a free school, representing all phases. 92.6% of all provision and 94.5% of primary schools within the Network are currently Good or Outstanding.
Performance is high and all schools within the network have easy access to examples of outstanding provision and peer-to-peer support. This includes NLEs and LLEs where required.
Schools joining the Trust will benefit from education delivered within a Christian ethos committed to enabling schools to meet the needs of their local community and will have access to:
- specialist school improvement support – School Improvement Partners and Advisers
- 20 educational consultants, school leadership support and development
- emergent leadership development programmes
- established partnerships with leading school improvement providers such as Herts for Learning
- a training and development programme delivered by the Diocesan Board of Education
- personalised training delivered through the Diocesan Board of Education’s Service Level Agreement
- national training networks such as the National Society’s Foundation for Educational Leadership
- in-house business management and financial management services
- a developing range of centralised policies
Current Development Plans
The Diocese of St Albans Multi-Academy Trust is a newly established Trust, having received approval from the Regional Schools Commissioner on 20th July 2016, progressing through the approval process in under six months. There are currently 4 primary schools and 1 secondary school in the Trust, with a further primary school due to join in February 2018.
More information is available at http://stalbansdmat.co.uk
St Albans Diocesan Multi Academy Trust
First Floor, 14 Doolittle Mill
Tel: 01525 840183
Fax: 01525 402451
T: 01727 818172